Packing light is a trial-and-error skill learned through an over packed suitcase that you can never find anything in, and clothes that come back from vacation having never been worn.
1) Get realistic: Place all the clothes you’d like to take with you on your bed, and categorize them into tops, bottoms etc. Create outfits and see which pieces are the most versatile and can be worn in more than 3 ways. For example, a dress that can be worn with sandals and a bikini to go to the beach and sightseeing as well as easy to glam up with heels and accessories for a night out. Keep the pieces that can be worn in more than 2 ways.
2) Shoes: You DON’T need all those shoes. In most cases, you only need 3 pairs – your favourite high heel in black or nude, and flat shoe or sandals. I always take a pair of running shoes.
3) Roll, don’t fold: Rolling your clothes takes up less space and keeps clothes from wrinkling too much.
4) Categorize: Pack all the tops, bottoms, dresses etc in separate piles so its easier for you to find what you’re looking for.
5) Pack a scarf: They take up virtually no room, and are versatile. They can be used as a wrap, towel, picnic blanket, and head scarf.
6) Socks in Shoes: Pack your socks in your shoes. Save space.
7) Ziploc it: A great way to keep clothing water/leak/spillage proof.
8) Leave some space: We all know what happened when you shop and there is no space…you have to run around and spend time looking for a new suitcase to pack all of your new clothing in!
9) Sleep on it: Once you’re all packed and ready to go, get some sleep. When you wake up, plan on taking at least 3 things out of your suitcase. Honestly this is my favourite tip…it works like a charm everytime.
If you can’t carry your luggage easily, sans trolley, without looking like a pack horse, then you’ve packed too much.
Keep it light and pack your very favourite pieces and you won’t go wrong!