Always a big question I get as we get close to Labour day is ” Can you wear white after Labour Day?” The answer is yes and no. A bit of history for you, this “no white after Labour day” started in the 1800’s. The wives of the super-rich ruled high society with an iron fist after the Civil War. As more people became millionaires, it was difficult to tell the difference between old money, and those who only had “vulgar” new money. By the 1880s, in order to tell who was acceptable and who wasn’t, the women who were already “in” felt it necessary to create dozens of fashion rules that everyone in the know had to follow. That way, if a woman showed up at an event in white, but it was after labour day, the other women would know not to give her the time of day.
Since many of you have invested in quality white pieces over the summer and would like to still get some use of of them coming into fall I have listed a few ways that you can keep them in rotation.
1. A white blazer: If you’re planning on wearing one in the fall, pair it with a black or grey tank or turtleneck and dark skinny jeans, instead of the loose camisole and shorts you’ve been wearing it with all summer. This makes it more season-appropriate. Shop my favourites here, here and here. I found this Rag and Bone one on sale here.
2. A white belt: “This accessory mixed in with neutral-colored bottoms and a colorful top offers up a colorblocking effect, which is a very stylish move. You can throw on a black blazer to make it a bit more fall. Find my favorite’s here and here.
4. White pants: “These can read the wrong season unless they’re in a fall fabric. You wouldn’t want to wear a white silk pant in the winter, however you could pair a white denim pant with a suede shoe or black pump and that’s totally acceptable.” My favourite white jeans for fall: here, here and here.
Kim was absolutely a dream to work with. I had to find a dress for a New York red carpet film premiere, and she came to my home with amazing options to get the look perfect. She nailed it, and was so kind and supportive! She really made me feel super confident for such an important event, and took the stress off of me for getting the look together!
It was so great to work with her, and I look forward to the next time :)
- Jen Laporte - Disney Star for "Freaky Friday"
Since 2016, BCLiving has had the privilege of sharing Kim Appelt's stunning video content on our website. Whether she's showcasing the season's hottest trends or revealing how to dress well on a budget, Kim's vast knowledge of fashion and the industry shines through in each segment. Over the years, we have received nothing but positive feedback from our hundreds of thousands of viewers about Kim's pieces, as her friendly on-camera presence both educates and entertains. As an editor, I have found Kim to be an incredible contributor who is an absolute pleasure to work with and I look forward to her videos each week.
- Janine Verreault, Editor/Brand Manager, BCLiving & Real Weddings